04 August 2016

Olive Conquered GI Stasis

This past weekend was terrible.

On Saturday morning Olive started to show the beginning signs of GI Stasis. I initially noticed that something was different when she didn't eagerly greet me in the morning when I scooped out her breakfast pellets. She was acting somewhat antisocial, and even though some days she doesn't come out of her cage for hours, I knew something was different. She was acting strange and so unlike herself. She wasn't eating and I didn't really notice her pooping either.

I already knew about GI Stasis, so I spent most of the day trying to feed Olive anything I could think of - mint, basil, chamomile flowers, etc. She barely ate them and I could tell that she was miserable. By the time Alex got home from work I voiced my concerns. We tried feeding her a few more times and at around 10pm we decided to call her vet. They told us to syringe feed her pineapple juice so Alex & I went to the store and brought home a pineapple that Alex cut up and somehow managed to get enough juice from it. We fed it to Olive and I still wasn't convinced. I called the vet back and got the address of the closest emergency vet.

Alex & I drove an hour to the ER and got there at midnight. I was frantic and in tears - fearing the worst. I knew how quickly this condition could progress and, if left untreated, it could end in death. I was beside myself - so nervous that I wouldn't even let Alex drive because I had to feel as though I was in control of at least something. Once we got there the vet immediately saw Olive. They weighed her, asked about her symptoms and tried to take her temperature - which was unsuccessful because Olive jumped off of the table and into my arms. It was at that moment that I started balling. I had never seen her that scared. I looked at Alex and all I saw was worry.

They took her in the back and I was crying and shaking so hard that I didn't know what to do with myself. Olive had GI stasis and I just wanted her to be okay, to make it through - because I didn't know what I would do without her. Alex was great at consoling me, holding me and staying positive. I needed it too. I needed his logic. The doctor came back in an hour later. She had given Olive Sub-q fluids on the back of her neck for hydration and syringe fed her Critical Care. She then told us that we had two options: We could leave her there over night for more Sub-q fluids and syringe feedings or we could take her home and syringe feed her ourselves - every six hours.

I was so scared in that moment. I didn't know if I had it in me to properly take care of her. I left the decision up to Alex and he decided it would be best if we took her home. He pointed out that leaving her in a strange place would only make things worse. She wasn't dehydrated (she was still drinking and peeing), so another round of Sub-q fluids wasn't necessary. She needed us and we could figure out the right way to do things - especially with directions from the vet.

We took Olive home and at 8am the next day we syringe fed her the Critical Care. She hated it. The mix was too thick for the syringe (no matter how much water we added to it) and we had to press down too hard in order to get anything out and into her mouth. But after a few feedings, she started to recover - she was pooping and eating a few things here and there. Monday afternoon we gave her the last syringe feeding, since she had eaten some pellets and had steadily been consuming hay. We figured that continuing to give her the Critical Care ever six hours was simply prolonging everything. We felt as though the Critical Care was leaving her too full to consume anything else. On Monday she slowly ate her small scoop of pellets and salad.

Once Tuesday morning rolled around Olive eagerly greeted me outside of her cage when I went to feed her the pellets. She ate dinner that night and even hopped into bed with us for some much needed cuddle time. I'm glad to say that she's recovered from the ordeal and I am incredibly relieved. I really don't know what I would do with out that bun of mine and I am over the moon because she is finally okay.


  1. I have followed this on Facebook, and was SO happy when your sweet girl came around and started to feel better!! I'm so glad you recognized the symptoms in time to get her the help she needed! Excellent news!!

    1. Thank you Terri! I so happy as well. It's weird to know that I am so intune with a little creature like that - Alex's thinks it's my maternal instincts. I just think it's because Olive and I have such a unique connection. Also - I didn't put anything on top of the ends of her new cage and she hasn't attempted to jump out so we're good. Hah.